WASH project manager
The Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC) seeks to prevent and alleviate human suffering and to improve the situation of vulnerable people. The NLRC helps, protects and takes care of people that are victims of war, conflict and disaster, and those who need assistance because of other circumstances. Within our international work, improving rural and (peri-) urban vulnerable people’s health and dignity constitutes a significant part of our work.
NLRC has been present in the Philippines since 2011, supporting the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) with longer term resilience projects in the thematic areas of disaster risk reduction, disaster preparedness, health, WASH and Disaster Recovery. In 2018, these projects are implemented in Mindanao and Eastern Visayas.
WASH project manager
Philippines, Cebu with frequent travel to Cagayan de Oro and Manila
12 months with possibility of extension
The Netherlands Red Cross in the Philippines is currently supporting projects of Philippine Red Cross in the thematic areas of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Livelihood, Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and Climate Change. The Philippine Red Cross is the implementing partner of the Netherlands Red Cross, while the Netherlands Red Cross has a role of Capacity building, technical and financial support of the Philippine Red Cross.
- In Cebu, the project “Sustainable and resilient pro-poor Water supply Fund” is a Public Private Partnership (PPP) project initiated in 2014 in Cebu City and surrounding cities and lead by Vitens Evides International. The overall goal of the project is to improve access to clean drinking water supply for 80,000 people, mostly poor, with 30,000 of them extremely poor living in the slum area. It tackles the root causes of the lack of safe water supply to the poor, lack of resilience of water supplies after disasters, and incapacity to carry out distribution projects. This will be achieved through extensions to the existing MCWD’s (Metropolitan Cebu Water District) distribution systems so that continuous and safe water will be supplied to a total of 80,000 additional people, of which 30,000 belong to the poorest people in the slums of Cebu. The connections are made by the partners of the Red Cross. In addition, the project will enhance health gains through community programmes conducted by the Red Cross, which will provide support and expertise in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Health Promotion, and Disaster Risk Reduction in the poor communities of Cebu.
Some of the challenges on this project are : delays in the implementation of the program, adaptation of activities to urban and peri-urban context, coordination within the partnership.
- A project similar to the Cebu SWF project has started with a similar partnership composition. The project is based in Cagayan de Oro in Mindanao, focusing on 7000 household (30 000 persons) based in relocation sites and in areas prone to flooding in the upstream river basin south of the city. The inception report will be submitted to the donors in August 2018 and the approval of the donor (and start of the implementation) is expected to be received by October 2018.
Summary statement and responsibilities
The primary responsibility of this position is to ensure financial and technical monitoring of all current WaSH projects and to provide project management and technical support to the Philippines Red Cross required to effectively implement the activities. The position requires a good coordination with the Philippine Red Cross but no direct team management. The WASH project manager requires an engineering profile with WASH experience in urban settings and experience of working with the private sector.
Project management and budget control
- Monitor the progress of the activities, the quality, relevance, achievements and efficiency of the implemented activities, provide guidance in the work plan’s construction, monitoring and support the team
- Monitor and ensure the quality of the activities in the field. Develop necessary quality control tools and make necessary visits to field sites to ensure that quality work is being completed, and monitor the events/outputs to ensure the timely completion of the project within the allocated budget,
- Ensure that the project activities encompasses fully with the three elements of the WASH sector: water, sanitation and hygiene promotion and that hardware activities are fully integrated with the software dimension (led by PRC). Ensure integration of the full sanitation circle where possible and relevant,
- Ensure implementation of the key technical standards in the WASH sector at national and international level (Sphere standards, SDG agenda, etc.), NLRC WASH strategy and IFRC standards (IFRC WatSan policy and Global Water and Sanitation Initiative) that must be in accordance with the Philippine Red Cross strategy and standards,
- Monitor the budget, according to the relevant approved project documents. The WaSH delegate is the budget holder for all NLRC WaSH projects in the Philippines. The budget holder is responsible to ensure that expenditure charged is appropriately allocated and correctly stated. Authorization of such expenditure will be exercised by a combination of transaction approval, monitoring actual expenditure requisition against the approved budget line, clarifying funds available and making sure donor earmarking requirements are met. Monitoring and management of procurement following standard NLRC Procedures.
- Produce regular, timely and accurate financial and narrative reports for the NLRC Headquarters. The delegate liaises with NLRC and PRC Finance staff on a regular basis to ensure that the quality of the submitted financial reports and supporting documents are in line with NLRC and Donor requirements.
Technical support, Capacity building
- Support and advise the Philippine Red Cross for any adaptation required upon needs and challenges,
- Suggest and encourage any necessary training for NS staff, in WaSH hardware and software and in project planning, budgeting, reporting and proposal writing. If relevant, arrange training directly by the Netherlands Red Cross,
- Support and build the capacity of the Philippine Red Cross in working within a consortium of public and private partners,
- Support the Philippine Red Cross in the development of innovative approaches and projects,
- Support the Philippines Red Cross in the adaptation of tools and activities to the urban context.
- Represent the Netherlands Red Cross and its implementing partner the Philippine Red Cross towards the partners and other actors,
- Support and encourage PRC in liaising with, and engage effectively with Government bodies at all levels, NGOs, Community Based Organizations, community groups, beneficiaries and the private sector when appropriate,
- Contribute to a successful partnership between the Netherlands Red Cross and the Philippine Red Cross, take part in partnership evaluation and suggest any recommendation to optimize the on-going and future collaboration,
- Contribute to a successful partnership between the Netherlands Red Cross, the Philippine Red Cross and the public and private partners of the current WASH Programs,
- Coordinate activities with other Participating National Societies (PNS) active in the WASH sector in Philippines through appropriate internal RCRC coordination mechanisms. Coordinate with non-Movement partners and local governments involved in the NLRC WASH projects in the Philippines.
- Participate and represent NLRC in WASH technical group meetings initiated by PRC.
Projects and partnership development
- Identify and proactively pursue new opportunities for WASH promotion programming (stand-alone and/or integrated projects) and developing proposals, project documents and budgets for new projects, in support and in close collaboration with the Philippine Red Cross and in line with the strategies of the Netherlands Red Cross and the Philippine Red Cross,
Position in the organization
This position will report to Country Representative with a functional line to Business Development and Advisory Unit and the Portfolio officer of the Philippines desk at NLRC HQ office. This position has a strong functional line with the WASH Department Manager of the Philippine Red Cross and its team.
- Degree or diploma in Water/Sanitation or Civil engineering, Public Health or in a Community/Social Development field
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical assistance to field staff in project design, planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Further qualifications in Project management, Public Health or community Development
- Minimum 5 years working experience in a developing country
- Computer skills on engineering software like AutoCAD, Etabs/Staad pro, Sketch up or other design software is preferred
- Experience of working for a humanitarian organization and/or the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement
- Experience in implementing WASH software and hardware projects in urban contexts and understanding of urban complexities
- Experience of working with the private sector and local government actors.
- Experience of project planning & budgeting, supervision and management, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience of producing narrative & financial reports
- Self-supporting in computers (Windows, spreadsheets, word-processing)
- Skills in coaching, training and developing staff
- Assertiveness and diplomacy in a culture-sensitive context
- Ability to engage effectively with National Society staff, volunteers and beneficiaries, being results focused and accountable, being a team builder and team player, a good communicator at all levels, having professional mastery over their technical area, having leadership qualities and encouraging others to take the lead when appropriate, having managerial effectiveness,
- Flexible and adaptable to the challenges encountered by the project, proactive approach.
- Show solid capacities in management of budgets; management of resources; monitoring; supervision and control; reporting; communication; networking; management of self; management of others; inspiring others; forming vision; organization building.
- Please send your resume and letter of motivation in English with reference to Rob Vugs, by using our online application tool.
- Application remains open until a preferred candidate has been selected
- For more information about the position, you can contact Sonia Hernandez Morales at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An initial assessment of candidates short-listed is part of the selection procedure.
Acquisition for this vacancy will not be appreciated.