The Netherlands Red Cross helps to strengthen resilience of vulnerable people exposed to hazards and crisis situations and we respond to disasters and conflicts to save lives and alleviate suffering. In the Netherlands we do this with more than thirty thousand volunteers and internationally through technical assistance, supplies and financial aid. Together we act before, during and after natural and man-made disasters to meet the needs and to improve the lives of vulnerable people.
We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
510 is the data initiative of the Netherlands Red Cross. Our vision is that smart use of data will help towards faster, higher quality and more (cost) effective humanitarian aid at a global level. The 510 initiative was established early 2016 and has grown since into a team of 60 core and project staff, students and volunteer data experts with diverse backgrounds. The team is developing data and digital solutions for humanitarian aid. Our main results are published on 510.global.
510 has opened a vacancy for a:
24 hours a week for the duration of 1 year (the Hague)
Purpose of the position
The software architect contributes and oversees the development of the project software and ensures effective and timely integration of backend and frontends. He/She plans and executes technical system tests and reports on the progress of the overall software development.
The Project: 121
510 is researching and developing a system to improve current cash based assistance in humanitarian aid. We develop a system with a digital identity and cash wallet that can be used to transfer money faster to those affected in a disaster area. With this money, those affected can purchase necessities like food, water and other relief goods. The focus of the research is how technology can make these cash distributions fast, safe and fair. The use of technology can, among other things, reduce the logistical challenges where cash distributions are involved. In parallel, the use of technology has the potential to lower overhead costs and accelerate the aid process. As each digital wallet could be linked to an individual, it will be easier to see who has or has not received aid.
Position within the project
The Software architect works in collaboration with the UX designer and the internal and external developers in the project and reports to the project manager.
Impact of your work
Your work will directly impact the ease of which people affected can receive cash-based assistance around the world. The front end you develop will help donors and people in need to send cash where needed. The 121 platform will be used across many cultures and disasters.
- Deliver the backend code for the 121 platform.
- Deliver activity diagrams, sequence diagrams and component diagrams based on the software requirements.
- Design backend and integration APIs
- Contribute to integration with the frontends
- Documentation and software maintenance
- Technical Pilots
- Determine functional and non-functional requirements for the software and its applications
- Use tools and methodologies to create representations for functions and user interface of desired product
- Develop high-level product specifications with attention to system integration and feasibility
- Define all aspects of development from appropriate technology and workflow to coding standards
- Communicate successfully all concepts and guidelines to development team
- Oversee progress of development team to ensure consistency with initial design
- Ensure software meets all requirements of quality, security, modifiability, extensibility etc.
- Plan and participate in technical pilots
- Approve final product before launch
- Living in the Netherlands
- BSc in computer science, information technology or other relevant field.
- At least 4 years of experience building enterprise-grade software solutions in a backend role.
- At least 2 years of experience designing software architecture for enterprise grade solutions.
- At least 2 years of experience leading software development projects.
Skills and experience
- Excellent knowledge of software applications design and architecture
- Excellent knowledge of UML and other modelling methods.
- Strong experience with at least one OOP/statically typed programming language such as C++, Java, Golang, C# or Scala.
- Strong experience with up-to-date knowledge in building backend APIs.
- Experience working in different SDLCs and scrum process.
- Experience in different programming languages including Typescript, Python.
- Experience with continuous delivery/continuous deployment concepts and toolchains.
- Experience with Docker, Git.
- Familiarity with HTML/CSS, UI/UX design
- Understanding of software quality assurance principles
- Deep understanding of blockchain concepts.
- Good understanding of how self-sovereign identities, DIDs and credentials work.
- Exposure to hyperledger indy.
- Exposure to Etherum blockchain and smart contracts.
- Experience with microservices architecture.
- Familiarity with Ionic/Cordova.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure, Azure DevOps, Azure Boards.
- Self confidence
- Strong listening and feedback skills
- Be open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism
- Being able to communicate clearly and concisely (written and verbally)
- Result and quality oriented
- Capable to work independently and to set clear goals and priorities
What we offer
A flexible and social working environment with room for initiative and personal development. Frequent travelling is part of this position. Salary is set at scale 11, dependent upon education and relevant professional experience (min. € 3207 and max. € 4.242 gross based on fulltime position).
Please send a letter of motivation, examples of your work (e.g. Github Repository) and CV in English as soon as possible, but no later than September 23rd, with reference to Sophia van Maanen using the online application tool: https://werkenbij.rodekruis.nl/nl/Vacancy/Postulate/142070
The selection procedure might start before September 23rd if suitable candidates have applied.
For further information on the position please contact Lars Stevens at email@example.com
An assessment and reference check are part of the selection procedure.
Acquisition for this vacancy will not be appreciated
- Address Verenigingskantoor Nederlandse Rode Kruis, Anna van Saksenlaan, Den Haag, Nederland