Project Manager (Interim)
DUTY STATION DHAKA BANGLADESH
Project Manager PROOFS
Dhaka, Bangladesh, with frequent travel within Bangladesh
Contact Information: Start of contract: ASAP until 31s August, 2018
(There is the possibility of extension for next phase of 4 years, if phase 2 is approved by the donor)
Type of contract:
Bangladesh employment contract with expat benefits.
ICCO Cooperation is a global development cooperation organization with roots in the Netherlands that go back to 1964. The mission of the organization is to work towards a sustainable society in which poverty, inequality and injustice have been eradicated, and men, women and children can live in dignity and security. Our drive towards creating a just world without poverty is grounded in twin core principles, which we see as fundamental: Securing Sustainable Livelihoods & Justice and Dignity for all.
ICCO is the Consortium Lead Partner of PROOFS, Profitable Opportunities for Food Security project. PROOFS works with existing Community Based Organizations and private sector actors to ensure sustainable food and nutrition security.
The Project integrates bottom up and top down business strategies, commercializing existing infrastructure and technologies, serving the base of the pyramid. The Project is implemented by the international partners ICCO Cooperation, iDE, BoP Innovation Centre, each bringing complementary areas of expertise to the Project.
The PROOFS consortium has been asked to implement the activities for a paid extension period (bridging) 10 months until 31 August 2018. This extension period will see further strengthening, and sustainability of various interventions that have shown promising results in the last four and a quarter years of PROOFS implementation.
We are looking for an Interim Senior Project Manager to lead the PROOFS Project for the coming months. The incumbent will be employed by ICCO. A consultancy contract may be considered where the incumbent can arrange his/her own residence and work permit in Bangladesh.
THE ROLE OF THE PROJECT MANAGER
As Project Manager, you are responsible for the coordination, advocacy and external representation, financial management and the staff management of the Project. The latter consists of around 42 people. The project head office is located in Dhaka, and supported by two regional offices in Rangpur and Barisal. You report in a matrix to the Country Managers of the consortium (functional accountability) and to the Country Representative of ICCO in Bangladesh in the hierarchy.
The Project has a nexus nutrition-agriculture-WASH intervention strategy implemented in the North West and South West of the country. Supported by a Deputy Team Leader from iDE who supervises the Field Team Leaders, the Project is overseen by the Project Manager. The Project Manager, will carry the overall responsibility for the results, provide overall management, coordination and oversight. The Project in this phase will focus on strengthening results, so steering for those results is mandatory. As key-liaison, you are the internal and external face towards and guard the integrated vision amongst all stakeholders.
Data are collected and evaluated in a timely manner with the technical leads, producing monthly reports. But also the thematic leads for Nutrition (BoP/ICCO) and Market Development (iDE) need to develop sound mainstreaming strategies, which are overseen by the Project Manager. Communication is key in this complex environment, influencing and guiding, guarding and representing. You therefore foster a climate of innovation, concept development and constant improvement. As coach of the team, you are easy accessible and a sounding board for all.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- As the ideal candidate you have more than 10 years of progressively more responsible experience in managing and directing large, complex projects/programs in developing countries. Having been the team leader of a large scale project is mandatory.
- Based on a relevant Masters Degree, relevant experience is noticeable in your background and previous work experience. Knowledge and experience of market-based food and nutrition projects is considered an asset.
- The aforementioned impeccable interpersonal skills are mandatory, as are diplomatic skills. Given the size of the Project, you must understand how to create results through people. Although hands-on where needed, you have a strategic approach towards capacity building, demonstrating the ability to operate and create results in complex, politically charged and unstable environments. Familiarity with South Asia is considered an advantage.
- You are medically fit (a medical check will be part of the selection procedure) and able to adapt to isolated and potentially insecure environments.
This is a non-family duty station. The remuneration is €50,000 to €60,000 per annum all inclusive. The duration of the contract is in principle for the duration of the project (until August 2018).
- For further information, email Mrs. Tessa Schmelzer, ICCO Country Representative Bangladesh at email@example.com. Please use “Project Manager PROOFS” in your e-mail title. Please restrict the submission to a cover letter and a CV of maximum 3 pages.
- Deadline for application is 31st December 2017
FAST RECRUITMENT PROCESS
- Applications received after the deadline may not be considered.
- The first interviews are scheduled for the second week in January 2018.