IRC is an international think-and-do tank that works with governments, NGOs, entrepreneurs and people around the world to find long-term solutions to the global crisis in water, sanitation and hygiene services. At the heart of its mission is the aim to move from short-term interventions to sustainable water, sanitation and hygiene services.
IRC implements long-term programmes in a number of selected countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America and implements a wide variety of smaller projects in multiple countries. IRC is an internationally operating organisation with offices in The Hague, Ghana, Burkina Faso and Uganda, Ethiopia and The USA.
In support to achieving our mission, IRC aims to attract and maintain a highly performing international team of professionals working from different parts of the world. We are currently looking for experienced candidates for the position of:
The Project Controller has an instrumental role in guiding the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) with respect to the financial management of IRC’s international projects and programmes. The Project Controller is, within a given portfolio, accountable for quality financial reporting to donors and the effective (and financially sound) implementation of projects in close collaboration with the respective project managers and country representatives.
The Project Controller is based at IRC Headquarters in The Hague and positioned in the Finance & Control Unit of the Finance & Support Department of IRC. The Project Controller reports to the CFO, and oversees the tasks and responsibilities of Finance & Control staff in (a given portfolio of) country offices.
- Contributing to appropriate financial planning and monitoring the utilization of programme funds
- In conjunction with the IRC’s Strategic Partnership Unit, developing budgets for funding proposals that comply with (donor) guidelines, including the identification and assessment of financial risks
- Reviewing, understanding and monitoring of contractual commitments, including the timely invoicing of project costs to partners and donors
- Recording of administrative flows to provide project management information, including cash flow forecasts
Supporting water sanitation and hygiene services for life
- Preparing financial progress reports and project overviews to donors and ensuring that all supporting documents for donor reporting are made available according to donor requirements
- Preparing end-of-project financial reports and project evaluations as well as coordinating project audits when applicable
- Facilitating the complete and proper reporting on project finances for incorporation in IRC’s general ledger, quarterly reporting and Annual Accounts (such as work-in-progress balances and expenditure accruals)
- Documenting lessons learnt, opportunities for financial enhancements and ensuring that all project-related information is (electronically) accessible
- Contributing to the development and maintenance of Information Systems and General Ledger
- Bachelor’s level in accounting or business administration (preferably HEAO/SPD)
- At least 5 years’ experience in project control, preferably in an international context
- Fluent in English, verbally and in writing. At least a third language is an advantage
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with Excel and Exact
- Pro-active, hands-on attitude with strong analytical and reporting skills
- Accurate, is capable of setting priorities and can multi-task
- Strong communication and negotiation skills, fits within the “Belbin TeamWorker role”
- Intercultural sensitivity and affinity with the international development sector
- Work experience abroad
- Knowledge of NGO donors and their financial reporting requirements
- Experience with the USAID requirements.
Details of the position
You will be offered the function of Project Controller with a salary depending on qualifications and experience in IRC salary scale 16 as stated in the IRC CAO. Part of our competitive benefits package is a 13th month and 35 leave days based on a fulltime working week. IRC has a working week of 40 hours. IRC welcomes applicants of any nationality, the post will require obtaining a working permit for The Netherlands (granted automatically for EU citizens), and will require being physically based in the Netherlands.
Interested candidates are kindly requested to respond with a motivation letter explaining their interest in the position, and curriculum vitae before 26th May 2019 to IRC, attn. Ms. Coline van der Ven; e-mail address: email@example.com or PO 82327, 2508 EH, The Hague, The Netherlands. Job interviews will be scheduled between 3rd – 14th June 2019. For additional information please visit us at www.ircwash.org or contact Mr. Rutger Verkerk, on tel. +31 (0)70-3044000.
- Address Bezuidenhoutseweg 27, Den Haag, Nederland EUR Month