Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population. MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organisations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. ‘Artsen zonder Grenzen Nederland’ (MSF-Holland) has a partnership with offices in the UK and Germany. This partnership, known as ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSF-OCA), operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 1,100 international staff and employs 7,000 national staff. The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 250 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations.
The Logistics Department (LogD) supports the overall purpose of MSF, providing logistics and technical support to the OCA field operations. The department is responsible for providing strategic direction, integrated advice and hands on support to logistics and technical issues in the field. The department consists of the Field Support Unit (FSU) and the Amsterdam Procurement Unit (APU).
The goal of APU is to supply the field with the right goods at the right place in the right time. The Procurement Unit (34 staff) is responsible for processing the orders from the project countries and delivering a wide assortment of medical and non-medical goods to the projects within the required timeframe. A part of the assortment is strategically held in stock while the rest is procured on an as need basis. The Tactical Procurement team is part of APU and ensures goods and services can be sourced at one or more suppliers, prices and conditions are available in the system, and continuously looks for improvements in availability and pricing. The team actively manages supplier relations and controls their performance.
With immediate effect, Artsen zonder Grenzen has a temporary vacancy for a:
TEAM LEADER TACTICAL PROCUREMENT (100%)
Based in Amsterdam
The Team leader Tactical Procurement is part of the Amsterdam Procurement Unit and reports directly to the Head of the Logistics Department. In this position, you manage the team of Tactical Procurement Officers (5 persons) but interact with several other stakeholders too.
- MSF projects are supplied with the requested products for the best prices taking the MSF specifications and quality standards into account;
- Assuring the expected service level and performance;
- Tactical Procurement is a group with challenging targets. Maintenance and development of the supplier /assortment base aiming to have enough sources to service our projects is one of them;
- You are expected to increase the professionalization of the tactical function and to create favorable structural process conditions and develop functional tactical aspects;
- You have the lead in defining the purchase strategy;
- You direct, coach and inspire your team so it meets these objectives;
- You are highly motivated, enthusiastic person with a master or equivalent in Supply Chain Management or Procurement/Sourcing.
- You have at least 6 years professional experience of which at least 3 in a procurement environment. You furthermore have managed a group of at least 5 people for 2 years.
- You are familiar with automated order processing systems / ERP systems.
- Good communication skills and fluency in English (speaking and writing) are essential. You should be able to draw up unambiguous written agreements in English.
- Understanding the French and Dutch language is an asset.
- Statistical/reporting skills in e.g. Excel are necessary. You do not just possess analytical skills; you know how to use them to turn data into meaningful information.
- Your way of working is organised.
- You are a good team player, but can work independently as well and have a problem-solving attitude.
- You are furthermore service-oriented, demonstrate initiative and have a good follow-up attitude. The work environment is at times hectic and unpredictable, which make flexibility, thinking out-of-the-box and eagerness to learn, important qualities. To do it well, you should be prepared to teach yourself everything that is relevant.
- You display attention to detail and can multi-task. Experience in coaching is a plus. You assure the group as a whole reaches its targets.
- Project management skills are a plus; so is knowledge of pharmaceuticals and medical devices, GDP and regulatory affairs.
- You are a keen negotiator and able to use market knowledge effectively. In the framework of cooperation with the other operational MSF supply centres, you will engage in international meetings on procurement topics and product families. You are furthermore prepared to work outside office hours, when required.
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment;
- A contract for one year, based on a full-time appointment for 40 hours per week (100% labour percentage).
- A gross monthly salary in scale 6 between € 2, 811 and € 4,015 depending on professional experience, based on a fulltime appointment (40 hours per week);
- Other benefits include 30 holidays per annum (based on a fulltime appointment) and a premium-free pension plan
Information and Application
If you are interested in this position, please contact Ms Klasien Hoeve, Head of Logistics for additional information, on phone 020-5208973.
We will be reviewing applications as they come in. Immediate availability is a plus. The closing date for this post may be brought forward or extended depending on the volume and strength of applications.
If you believe that you fit the profile, you can react directly via the button below.
Please upload a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae in English as one combined document. Deadline for application is 24 March 2019.
- Address Naritaweg 10, 1043 BX Amsterdam, Nederland