Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population. MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organizations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. ‘Artsen zonder Grenzen Nederland’ (MSF-Holland) has a partnership with offices in the UK and Germany. This partnership, known as ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSF-OCA), operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 1,100 international staff and employs 7,000 national staff.
At Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) / Artsen zonder Grenzen, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, ability status and all other diversity characteristics.
The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 350 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations.
The Human Resources Management (HRM) department in MSF-Holland consists of approximately 70 people working in the units Office HR, HR Excellence, HR4U, Recruitment and career management, Pool Management, Psychosocial Care and Specialists & Field Support.
With immediate effect, MSF-Holland has a temporary vacancy for a
OPERATIONS ADVISOR (100%)
Based in Amsterdam
The Operations Advisor (OA) reports to the Operations Manager (OM) and provides day-to-day operational and administrative support on a functional basis within the portfolio covering Iraq, Jordan, Malaysia, Myanmar, Bangladesh and Nigeria.
The Operations Advisor acts as a sparring partner to the OM and Heads of Mission on operational strategic issues. S/he promotes the quality, continuity and consistency of support to field management and facilitates decision making during the tactical and operational realisation in various countries of the portfolio. The OA also facilitates interaction between the field operations and the head office. Furthermore, the OA monitors the effectiveness and efficiency of operations and acts as a mediator/trouble shooter whenever problems arise.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
- Gives advice and guidance to the Heads of Mission and field management in the portfolio towards tactical decision making which involves analysis of field questions, problems and solutions;
- Safeguards operational policies of the organisation while channelling the planning and control cycle of projects at a tactical level;
- Coaches the Heads of Missions where appropriate and refers the teams to alternative sources for feedback, as well as identifying opportunities and needs for institutional competence building;
- Manages the portfolio on a day to day basis as delegated by the Operations Manager, while proactively identifying and referring e.g. new or large scale emergencies, security matters, new advocacy issues;
- Supports the HRM policies regarding recruitment, (de)briefings, training & development;
- Identifies and follows up on day to day financial issues for the portfolio which includes institutional donors, partner sections;
- Initiates and coordinates meetings between head office staff (Operational Support Team) on a regular basis and when required beyond the regular meetings;
- Coordinates the maintenance and proper use of the electronic operations data base;
- Assists the Operations Manager in administrative matters of a practical and policy-related nature.
- Collaborates with the Operational Officer on the day-to-day support to the mission.
We are seeking a motivated team player who operates on an advanced professional level, is able to improve performance and sets ambitious and realistic goals. He or she is capable of thorough analytical thinking, sets priorities and has a proven track record of effectively putting forward solutions to identified problems.
The successful candidate will have delivered emergency medical aid in complex political and humanitarian settings, has worked in insecure contexts, and gained experience in managing resources (finance, human resources and logistics).
We expect the candidate to have held field-based posts with operational or medical management responsibilities for at least two years, preferably including Head of Mission or Medical Coordinator level. S/he is required to be familiar with current MSF policy and procedures (ideally on both field and head office level), and have good knowledge of the MSF movement and organisational structure. Any experience within any of the portfolio’s countries is desirable.
The position operates in a fast-paced work environment that requires initiative and a flexible, stress resistant attitude. Good communication skills are essential, as well as an excellent command of English. The candidate must be willing to work irregular hours and spend approximately 15-20% of the time in the field.
- A stimulating, professional working environment in an international organization.
- A Dutch employment contract from 30 March to 19 June 2020, based on 40 hours per week
- A gross monthly salary of a minimum of € 3,167 and a maximum of € 4,522 for a full-time appointment based on relevant work experience;
- Other benefits include 30 holidays and a premium free pension.
INFORMATION & APPLICATION
If you are interested in this post, please apply by uploading a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae in English (as one combined document).
Would you like additional information, please address your questions with Benoit de Greyse; Benoit.de.Gryse@amsterdam.msf.org
The closing date for applications is Sunday 2nd February 2020 .
There is one round of interviews, planned on 13 and 14 February 2020. A test might be part of the selection procedure.
- Address Artsen zonder Grenzen, Plantage Middenlaan, Amsterdam, Nederland