Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population.
MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organizations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. ‘Artsen zonder Grenzen Nederland’ (MSF-Holland) has a partnership with offices in the UK and Germany. This partnership, known as ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSF-OCA), operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 1,100 international staff and employs 7,000 national staff. The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 250 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations.
With immediate effect our Public Health department is looking for a
Based in Amsterdam or London, that functionally reports to the HIV/TB/HEP Advisor based in Amsterdam
Working as part of the Public Health Department the main objective of the role is to support HIV/TB/Hep advisor for Myanmar and Afghanistan in the implementation of HIV/TB/HEP related activities to progress the aims of the OCA HIV/TB and Hepatitis strategies in those missions. The successful applicant will spend approximately 80% of the time in the field and 20% in headquarters. Up to 30% of the field allocation may be dedicated to specific implementation support for other MSF OCA HIV/TB/Hepatitis projects, if required.
- Works in close collaboration with the HIV/TB/HEP Advisor, Health Advisors and field teams to identify areas of intervention, which will progress the aims of the OCA Strategic Plan;
- Together with the TB/HIV/HEP advisor supports the provision of high quality TB, HIV, HEP care through coaching, training and clinical case support for project medical staff;
- Alongside the Medical Coordinator, TB/HIV/HEP advisor, epidemiologists and project teams supports implementation of research study projects, including establishment of operating policies and procedures, submission to the national ERBs, etc;
- Plans, implements, and maintains data collection systems to support routine operations and operational research projects;
- Monitors the progress of research activities; develops and maintains records of research activities, and prepares periodic and ad hoc reports, as required by investigators, mission administrators, and/or regulatory bodies;
- Supports the missions’ medical advocacy objectives through the provision of technical expertise;
- In collaboration with the project teams and TB/HIV/HEP advisor maintains and updates the programmatic clinical guidelines when required;
- Promotes MSF objectives in national, regional and international meetings, trainings and conferences, through facilitation and dissemination of MSF operational experience;
- Develops and supports implementation of the new operational TB, HIV and HEP strategies, e.g., adherence, drug resistance testing, decentralization, etc;
- Assists in the update of HIV/TB/HEP country specific guidelines whenever needed;
- Supporting the revision of MSF OCA TB, HIV and HEP training modules and clinical guidelines;
- Offers technical assistance to the TB projects in missions to strengthen pharmacovigilance for DR-TB drugs in their programs;
- Medical doctor with at least five years post graduate experience.
- Candidates with strong clinical experience in TB, DR-TB, HIV and Hepatitis.
- Experience in management and implementation of HIV/TB programs.
- Previous experience in research activities.
- Knowledge of epidemiology and/or public health.
- Proven experience of working independently under minimal supervision.
- Demonstrable experience of working and constructively participating as part of a multi-cultural team.
- Fluency in written and oral English.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively and work overseas.
- Demonstrable organizational and communication skills, including attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong ability to stick to deadlines and influence others to do the same.
- Previous MSF or equivalent experience with a commitment to the aims and values of MSF.
- Masters in Epidemiology / Public Health.
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment.
- A-contract for one year with renewal option, based on a fulltime appointment for 40 hours per week (100% labour percentage, spread over 5 days one week).
- A gross monthly salary in scale 6 between € 2.811 and € 4,015 depending on professional experience, based on a fulltime appointment (40 hours per week).
- Other benefits include 30 holidays per annum (based on a fulltime appointment) and a premium-free pension plan.
Information and Application
If you are interested in this post and would like additional information, you can contact:
- Dr. Koert Ritmeijer, Coordinator Clinical Team; Tel: +31 20 520 8767; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Anita Mesic, HIV/TB/HEP Advisor; +31 65 7879595; Email: email@example.com.
If you believe that you fit the profile, please upload a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae in English.
Deadline for application is 27 August 2019
- Address Artsen zonder Grenzen, Plantage Middenlaan, Amsterdam, Nederland