Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) intervenes in emergencies and crises, to relieve human suffering from unmet medical needs and to create a space for humanity. MSF works to provoke a social and political response that meets the essential needs, and respects and protects the dignity, of people in danger. MSF strives to innovate and incite change through its medical action, its “témoignage” and its active reflection on the situation of populations in danger. Respecting its Charter and shared principles, MSF is an independent movement of citizen associations that are integrated and open to their societies. In a spirit of volunteerism, acting in proximity to and in solidarity with assisted peoples, MSF’s members adhere to humanitarian principles and respect for medical ethics.
At Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) / Artsen zonder Grenzen, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, and ability status and all other diversity characteristics.
Artsen zonder Grenzen (MSF-Holland) is an Association of (former) field and office employees, with a Board keeping oversight. MSF-Holland has a partnership with MSF offices in the UK and Germany. This partnership, known as ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSF-OCA), operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 800 international staff and employs 10,000 national staff.
The Human Resources Management (HRM) department in MSF-Holland consists of approximately 50 people working in the units HR4U, HRM Excellence, Office HR, Pool Management, Psychosocial Care and Recruitment & Career Management and HR Advisors Located in Amsterdam, Berlin and UK.
To cover a maternity leave, per 1 February our HRM Department is looking for a,
Coordinator HR Advisor Operations Desk (100%)
Preferably based In Amsterdam, 6 months contract
(London or Berlin is also possible, with frequent travel to Amserdam)
The Coordinator HR Advisor Operation Desk Reports directly to the Staff director of MSFOCA.
In this position, you will be a member of the HR leadership team to provide leadership and line management the HR Ops Advisors. In addition, you provide strategic and tactical HR support to Operations desks and the mission in order to achieve operational objectives.
Coordinator Role (70%)
- Reports to the Staffing Director on the actual progress against defined objectives and the team’s general and specific performance areas;
- Coordinates the workload division and line manages the employees in the HR Ops Advisors unit and carries out the HRM policies regarding performance, absence, mobility etc.;
- Develops, proposes and coordinates implementation of the unit’s strategical plans including the necessary human and financial resources in collaboration with the other HQ HR Unit Co-ordinators and/or for the HRCo’s in the field;
- Contribute to the cooperation within HR and further positioning of HR in the organisation;
- Monitors the impact and quality of HR management in our projects and designs improvement plans where required;
- Guides and supports the operational realisation of HR field management within the strategic framework and monitors/promotes the quality of these programs by giving advice and reviewing strategies and guidelines;
- Gives expert advice on intersectional issues in various HR-management and practices within MSF OCA programming and/or intersectional MSF HR practices;
- Participates in periodical strategic and tactical meetings to promote and contribute to the implementation of MSF OCA’s operational vision;
- Provides back-up support to portfolios to cover absences of HR Ops Advisors when necessary;
- To contribute in the definition of the operational needs and strategies and the accomplishment of its results from the HR perspective and according to the operational priorities;
- To participate and provide HR field expertise within the HR Leadership team, MSF OCA and/or other relevant stakeholders.
HR OPS advisor Role (30%)
- Sparring partner of operational desk managers and support team and field coordinators and managers in translating MSF’s strategic plan into a clear HR strategy for the focus area, defining the people agenda;
- Provides support and guidance on HR year planning, HR processes and staffing issues focusing on national staff;
- Advising the organization from a strategic point of view and translating (external) developments into HR policy with regard to important themes for the organization and HR;
- Functional line management of human resource coordinators (HRCos) and setting objectives, in collaboration with head of mission (HoMs), and providing feedback on their performance;
- Advising and coaching HRCos in the day to day implementation of HR field management by ensuring alignment within MSF’s framework and operational needs and other support requirement;
- Executes field visits to coach and advise HRCos, country management team (CMT) members and/or field staff in the field of expertise;
- Contributing to development projects and new policy on development and various themes such as diversity and inclusion, behavioural commitment, mobility, talent management, performance management and other strategic areas;
- Supporting specific country from (non)existing portfolio and/or countries of the Emergency Desk and/or other Ops Desk;
- Functional line management to HRCOs in their portfolio, providing direct guidance and support.
We are looking for a highly energetic, quality driven team player. A Motivated and dedicated Professional that makes the most of collaborating with others to be successful. A person with strong orientation for service and result, and who is highly structured, organized and adaptive. Along with these competencies, you must have,
- Minimum of 5 years of MSF experience is mandatory with proven senior management record of accomplishment and mission experience.
- Degree in HR management or at least 5 years’ experience in HR at a senior level.
- Ability to travel to the field approximately 10-20%.
- In depth knowledge of HR best practices.
- Knowledge of HR systems and databases.
- Experience working in a fast paced and demanding working environment.
- Excellent command of the English language; French and Arabic is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills.
- MSF HR experience
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment;
- A contract for one year with renewal option, based on a full-time appointment for 40 hours per week (100% labour percentage).
- A gross monthly salary in scale 7 between € 3,286 and € 4,692 depending on professional experience, based on a fulltime appointment (40 hours per week);
- Other benefits include 30 holidays per annum (based on a fulltime appointment) and a premium-free pension plan.
Information and Application
For more information about this position, please contact the current position holder Laura Smith, Laura.Smith@amsterdam.msf.org.
Please upload a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae in English as one combined document
The closing date for application is 11 December 2019
Interviews will be held 17 December.
*** Acquisitions regarding this position are not appreciated ***
- Address Artsen zonder Grenzen, Plantage Middenlaan, Amsterdam, Nederland