Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population. MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organisations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work.
The Public Health Department of Operational Centre Amsterdam (OCA) supports the overall purpose of MSF, providing medical and public health leadership for the organisation. The department is responsible for providing strategic direction and integrated advice on medical and public health issues to the field and headquarters. The PHD plays a key role in developing and maintaining the medical humanitarian identity and image of MSF-OCA, and in continuing to develop and improve intervention strategies to be relevant and effective.
The Public Health Department is made up of a group of generalist Health Advisors (based in Amsterdam and Berlin), clinical and public health specialists (based in Amsterdam and London), providing expertise across a range of fields that include infectious diseases, non-communicable diseases, mental health, nutrition, paediatrics, and vaccination as well as epidemiology, health promotion, laboratory, pharmaceutical quality/medical supply, and water/sanitation.
The Maternal and Child Health team combines a variety of specialists with a common theme of maternal and child health (reproductive health, paediatrics and vaccination advisors) in addition to other specialist with a broader focus (mental health, epidemiology and sexual and gender based violence advisors).
Effective immediately the OCA Public Health Department of Médecins Sans Frontières is looking for a:
Coordinator for Maternal and Child Health (MCH) Team (100%)
Based in Amsterdam
Place in the organization
This position reports to the Deputy Medical Director and works closely with colleagues in of other related specialities across the three location.
Objectives of the position
This position combines a coordinator role (50%) with a dedicated specialist advisor function (50%) providing general medicine support, in particular to Outpatient / Ambulatory care Departments.
Management of specialist advisors for the mother and child health group
- Direct line management of specialists (8 team members at present);
- Organize recruitment and induction of new specialists;
- Provide coaching, regular performance feedback and support conflict resolution;
- Ensure all specialists have a tailored professional development plan;
- In conjunction with the other specialist coordinators, coordinate workload division between and cohesion among specialists;
- Manage and guide planning of operational, advocacy, reporting and policy matters relating to MCH specialities;
- Safeguard medical quality in MSF-OCA mother-child health programming and training;
- Any other task, responsibility and duty that is commensurate with the post and profile as decided by the organisation;
Public Health Departmental coordination
- Member of the broader departmental coordinator management group with the following responsibilities;
- Working to ensure consistent and standardised management practices across the wider department;
- Embed best practice of geographical dispersed team working across the department;
- Ensures a positive working culture and effective communication across the wider department;
- Contribute to the effective planning and execution of department meetings and away days;
- Work closely with the other specialist coordinators and health advisor coordinator to ensure an optimal interface between health advisors and specialist advisors;
- In conjunction with the other coordinators, provide a first line escalation point for conflict resolution between staff members in the department and across the wider offices;
Liaison with other departments:
- Contact point for information sharing, requests, cross cutting work with other departments in OCA (as required, specific department to be determined);
Strategic planning and implementation and control cycle
- Supports the planning and development of new OCA Strategic Plans;
- As part of the wider departmental coordinator team, monitors and steers the implementation of medical priorities within the current OCA strategic plan;
- Contributes to development of SCP and ACP departmental reports;
- Responsible for the budget allocation for the MCH group of specialists;
- Consulted in the development of the overall departmental budgets and HR allocations for both the SCP and ACP process;
Specialist advisor role:
- General medicine (adult & paediatric) – with a focus on, but not limited to, outpatient / ambulatory care;
- The initial focus will be on the coordination function of this role with increased focus on the specialist component over time;
- To provide support and impetus to strategic planning, implementation (country level support), field staff development, and operational research relating to the topic area;
- Together with health advisors and other topic specialists, develop and assist in implementation and monitoring/evaluation of intervention strategies adapted to the various MSF contexts providing programming in the specialist area;
- Provide technical support, including field consultancies, to health advisors and specialist staff;
- in project countries; and to research projects;
- Share expert medical knowledge through documentation and publication; trainings and workshops, and scientific fora within MSF and to external academic audience;
- Monitor developments in the specialty area, and develop networks to enhance MSF-OCA expertise and support for field implementation;
Education, qualification, and experience
- Qualified medical professional (nurse practitioner or doctor) with training in general medicine (adult & paediatric) and / or specialist skills in an area related to the MCH dossier;
- Proven management and leadership experience is essential, 2-3 years
- MSF experience, 2-3 years desirable;
- Experience working in geographically dispersed team desirable;
- Commitment and passion for the goals of MSF;
- Current registration/license with relevant national professional body;
Capacities and skills
- Good people management skills, with a style to inspire and develop team members;
- Competent providing expert level advice in the technical area of expertise;
- Is able to lead and coach teams, and produce timely outputs;
- Good analytical and communication skills are essential, as well as an excellent command of the English language (oral and written communication); French or Arabic an asset (Dutch is not necessary);
- Sensitive towards diverse cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Enthusiastic, motivated and independent; able to work with minimal supervision;
- Able to work under time pressure on various projects and deadlines at any given time;
- Must be willing to live and work in the Netherlands; able to visit and support projects at short notice, and willing to spend up to 30% of time in the field; able to attend meetings in MSF offices worldwide;
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment.
- A contract for one year with a renewal option (subject to satisfactory. performance) based on a fulltime appointment (40 hours/week).
- A gross monthly salary in grade 8 between minimum € 3, 775 and € 5, 388 depending on professional experience, based on a fulltime appointment.
- Other benefits include 30 holidays based on a fulltime appointment and a premium-free pension plan.
Information and Application
If you are interested in this post and would like additional information, please contact Melissa McRae, Deputy Medical Director (melissa.mcrae @amsterdam.msf.org)
If you believe that you fit the profile, you can react directly via the ‘Apply’ button. Please upload a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae in English as one combined document.
Deadline for application is 17 march 2019
- Address Artsen zonder Grenzen, Naritaweg, Amsterdam, Nederland