Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical humanitarian, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical humanitarian care to victims of conflict and epidemics. Our staff in the field projects consists mainly of locally recruited staff, but we express international humanitarian solidarity working side by side as national and internationally recruited staff, giving direct medical humanitarian support to people in need. In the past 40 years, MSF has gained a strong position as an independent, medical humanitarian organisation working worldwide.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global MSF offices. ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSF-OCA) is a partnership between ‘Artsen zonder Grenzen Nederland’ (MSF-Holland), MSF-UK and MSF-Germany. MSF-OCA operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 22 countries with about 67 projects. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 800 international staff and employs 10,000 national staff.
The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 300 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations.
With immediate effect, MSF-Holland / OCA has a vacancy for a
Coordinator Co-days 2019/ Support to SP Coordinator (50%)
Based in Amsterdam from April – September 2019
The next OCA Strategic Plan (SP) covers the period 2020-2023. Through an inclusive, collaborative and transparent process during 2019, we aim to have a Strategic Plan that reflects the collective wisdom across OCA, with input from across the MSF Movement.
This role is to assist, and provide administrative and organisational support to, the Strategic Plan Coordinator for the Strategic Plan Process. This is an ongoing collaborative and iterative process with a high level of engagement with field and office staff across OCA. There are numerous consultation and decision-making moments in the process and part of this role will be to provide organisational and administrative support to the SP Coordinator to fulfil this.
The Co-days week is a key event within the SP Process and the OCA calendar. This is an annual event where all the Head of Missions, Medical Coordinators and HQ staff meet to discuss and exchange ideas about MSF’s challenges and issues in order to initiate the development of, and changes to, existing strategy and policy. This year it will be a critical platform for discussion, debate and reflection on the Strategic Plan priority areas and our overall strategic direction. These strategic discussions also form a basis for Mission planning in the field.
The candidate will be responsible for the organisation of the Co-days for MSF-OCA. The content for the Co-days will be determined in collaboration with the SP Coordinator & Project team. A large part of this role is focusing on organising, planning and facilitating this large event (in cooperation with Facilities management and the Director’s Office). In 2019, the Co-days will take place from 2nd until the 6th of September in Amsterdam followed by the OCA Café on the 7th of September.
The Coordinator Co-days reports to the Strategic Plan Coordinator.
- To support the SP Coordinator in ongoing day-to-day administration for the SP Process: scheduling, minute taking, workshop/meetings planning & organising, document management;
- To work with the SP Coordinator and Internal Communications Officer on internal messaging and staff engagement relating to the SP Process;
- To develop a coherent Co-days programme and agenda in conjunction with the SP Coordinator, OCA MT, Operations and PHD;
- To facilitate, monitor and balance input from the MT, support departments, field representatives and partner sections – ensuring well-prepared relevant sessions – and an overall balanced and stimulating programme;
- To work with facilities to prepare and organise the logistics of the Co-days including the set-up, location, accommodation, travel requirements, social activities, invitations, guest speakers, and supporting documentation;
- Communication and relevant administration with all involved parties concerning the Co-days;
- To ensure the smooth running of the week itself, including planning, follow-up, time management;
- To complete a final written report of the Co-days and conduct an evaluation;
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Previous experience of working with MSF at field or office level.
- Previous experience of organising events and/or event management.
- Excellent planning, organisational and administrative skills with a proven ability to carry out different tasks simultaneously and prioritise time and resources accordingly.
- Good interpersonal and negotiating skills.
- Creative and innovative, with an ability to think laterally in order to identify and respond to new opportunities.
- Excellent and engaging written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to work independently within a team environment.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
- Knowledge of the content of MSF field projects and overall MSF themes.
- Ability to be flexible with time, recognising that the workload and working hours will vary within the six months.
- A part-time appointment (50% / 20 hours a week) for a period of six months with some flexibility to manage this time according to the planning and facilitation needs. We expect to start with 1,5 day in April & May and build up to 3 days in June, July and August and September (full time during the Co-days week).
- A gross monthly salary in grade 5 between € 2,429 and € 3,649, depending on relevant work experience, based on a full-time appointment (40 hours per week);
- Other benefits include 30 holidays and a premium free pension.
Information and Application
Further information can be obtained from Jane-Ann McKenna, SP Coordinator, on phone +31 (0) 657115133 or firstname.lastname@example.org
If you recognize yourself in the profile, please click to apply directly via our website.
The closing date for application is 22nd March 2019. Interviews are planned on Thursday 28th March
- Address Naritaweg 10, 1043 BX Amsterdam, Nederland