Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) intervenes in emergencies and crises, to relieve human suffering from unmet medical needs and to create a space for humanity. MSF works to provoke a social and political response that meets the essential needs, and respects and protects the dignity, of people in danger. MSF strives to innovate and incite change through its medical action, its “témoignage” and its active reflection on the situation of populations in danger. Respecting its Charter and shared principles, MSF is an independent movement of citizen associations that are integrated and open to their societies. In a spirit of volunteerism, acting in proximity to and in solidarity with assisted peoples, MSF’s members adhere to humanitarian principles and respect for medical ethics.
At Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) / Artsen zonder Grenzen, we are committed to an inclusive culture that encourages and supports the diverse voices of our employees. Our diversity fuels our innovation and connects us closer to our beneficiaries and the communities in which we work. We welcome applications from individuals of all genders, ages, sexual orientations, nationalities, races, religions, beliefs, and ability status and all other diversity characteristics.
Artsen zonder Grenzen (MSF-Holland) is an Association of (former) field and office employees, with a Board keeping oversight. MSF-Holland has a partnership with MSF offices in the UK and Germany. This partnership, known as ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSF-OCA), operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 25 countries. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 800 international staff and employs 10,000 national staff.
The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 350 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations. The Human Resources Management (HRM) department in MSF-Holland conciest of approximately 50 people working in the units such as HR4U, HRM Excellence, Office HR, Pool Management, Psychosocial Care and Recruitment & Career Management.
The unit HRM Recruitment & Career Management contributes to a healthy pool of available fieldworkers with relevant profiles for MSF missions. The HR professionals in this unit focus on talents in the Dutch labour market – and markets in countries where no MSF recruiting office is currently present. Currently, we have 2 Recruiters and 4 Career Managers, reporting to the Coordinator Recruitment and Career Management.
With immediate effect our HRM department is looking for a,
Career Manager (100%)
Based in Amsterdam
The Career Manager reports directly to the Coordinator Recruitment and Career Management. In this position, you identify personnel needs, job satisfaction,qualification and skills of the employees along with pool managers.
- Confers with Pool Managers (PMs) to identify personnel needs, job specifications, qualifications and skills;
- Proactively proposes candidates for placement in appropriate field positions and advising the PM according to skills, experience and availability;
- Meets regularly with the other Career Managers and PMs to determine best fit of applicants in the OC; and identifies high potentials and leaders of tomorrow;
- Places first mission staff on preparatory training courses as available;
- Advises expats on placement opportunities;
- Contributing on HR activities and process improvements;
- Debriefs returning field workers about their missions according to MSF-H/OCA HR debriefing procedures;
- Identify personal / professional development of field workers gained on mission to be able to effectively advise on future matches and ambitions; career path;
- Discusses career management prospects during briefings, e.g. areas of strength and development, drafts action and improvement plans according to ambition and capacity;
- Advises expats regarding career opportunities with MSF. Identifies relevant learning and development tools and trainings;
- Facilitates and guides expats through the MSF-HOLLAND HR processes & L&D to ensure consistently high quality of support & training opportunities to each field worker;
- Is in routinely structured contact with expats regarding any career related topic and placement opportunities;
- Proposes candidates to Pool Management on expat placement;
- Highlights recruitment needs and priorities to recruiters;
- Collaborates with Recruiters in order to hand-over successful applicants from Recruiters to Career Managers in ensuring expats are ready for placement;
- Works toward helping the overall organization understand field realities through returning field workers;
- Maintains expat database with all relevant information, shares updates with relevant stakeholders;
- Travel to national and international meetings, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (essential).
- 2-3 years of relevant working experience in placement & career management (desirable).
- Fluency in English is essential, Dutch is preferred, French and Arabic is a plus.
- Medical, Logistical or financial field experience, preferably within MSF (desirable).
- Knowledge of career management and development.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, networking, and interviewing skills.
- Demonstrable experience in coaching.
- Flexible, able to manage stress and to work outside of office hours as required.
- Strong team player, ability to work independently.
- A contract for one year with a full-time appointment based on 5 days per week. If found suitable, preference will be given to candidates able to start on the date required. We encourage people with diverse backgrounds to apply.
- The Career Manager in scale 5 with a gross monthly salary between € 2,429 and € 3,469 based on relevant professional experience for this position in MSF and for a 40-hour working week.
- A premium free pension and 30 holidays per year based on a 40-hour work per week.
- A challenging position in a stimulating, professional and international working environment.
Information and Application
For more information about this position, please contact Merel Olgers (Coordinator Recruitment & Career Management): Merel.Olgers@amsterdam.msf.org . Please upload a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae in English as one combined document.
Deadline for application is 19 May 2019
We will be reviewing applications as they come in. Immediate availability is a plus. The closing date for this post may be brought forward or extended depending on the volume and strength of applications.
- Address Artsen zonder Grenzen, Plantage Middenlaan, Amsterdam, Nederland