Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) intervenes in emergencies and crises, to relieve human suffering from unmet medical needs and to create a space for humanity. MSF works to provoke a social and political response that meets the essential needs, and respects and protects the dignity, of people in danger. MSF strives to innovate and incite change through its medical action, its témoignage and its active reflection on the situation of populations in danger.
The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts more than 350 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations. For the human resources department, with immediate effect we are looking for an:
Staff health medical doctor (80%)
Based in Amsterdam
You are part of the staff health unit, which oversees the delivery of staff health services for MSF staff working in field missions. You will report to the coordinator of the unit and work together with another staff health medical doctor as well as psychosocial care specialists.
On a daily basis, you are in contact with many stakeholders: the company doctor, the medical and HR coordinators in the field, the staff who need your support, as well as colleagues in the human resources or the public health department. You also liaise with the other MSF staff health units and external entities like International SOS.
As the staff health medical doctor every working day will be different: One day you might be talking to a colleague that needs a referral, you provide advice to the health advisors (who work on public health programming for our projects) and you write policy for work health related problems such as Working with a chronical disease in the field. The other day you are working on the implementation of another policy that you developed (e.g. health screening), and a medical coordinator from the field calls for your support in a medical evacuation. In the afternoon you talk to a patient in which project he can work given his medical condition. The next day you are giving a training to medical coordinators and you are debriefing one of them as well, you are also providing advice to the company doctor for a staff member who has a chronical disease. And receive several emails on how to be well prepared health-wise for a specific mission.
One day a sudden chronic, highly infectious disease is identified in the field. You support the medical coordinator in the implementation of a special system to manage the good health of the staff working in these settings.
You do not see a lot of patients, only in case of a medical evacuation, but you are a consultant for your staff health responsible colleagues. So we do require an up to date medical license registration and there is space to keep up your medical registration as well.
The position is relatively new so we are searching for seniority in clinical leadership (min. 5 years of work experience as registered medical doctor), preferably on a consultancy level; you are comfortable enough with staff health, public health, tropical medicine, infectious disease control and well-being topics to champion them. It is an asset if you have experience working on occupational health topics in context similar to MSF mission countries. In the coming year the team aims to establish:
- alignment of the staff health services with the overall OCA staff vision
- the organisational structures and processes needed to support delivery of staff health services.
- You develop policies that ensure occupational and labour legislations are interpreted in a clear, effective and cost efficient way
- You develop and update clinical guidelines and frameworks to ensure
- Appropriate staff health and wellbeing standards
- Accurate and up-to-date pre-departure health information, screening and preparation
- Clarity of staff health responsibilities in the field, and between the field and OC and/or contracting sections
- Efficient medical evacuation communication (and repatriation) protocol
Practical support to staff and staff health colleagues
- You are medical focal point for staff members that need to leave their mission country for medical reasons (medical evacuation or repatriation). You are well able to keep all stakeholders updated: HR colleagues in HQ, International SOS, Health advisor for the relevant country in HQ, medical coordinator in the mission country. You arrange diagnostic assessment, drug prescription, referral documents as needed
- You also ensure routine support for the staff health focal points in the missions (approximately 26 countries)
- You implement and maintain sick leave procedures for (returned) field staff including third party fit to work screening
- You advice the company doctor on field related conditions to facilitate return to work after illness or in case of chronic health issues
- You do monitoring and analysis and you maintain a data collection system in order to flag trends and health risks in missions and offices
- You are available for regular 24/7 on call duties
If you are the flexible medical professional with experience in occupational health topics, we very much welcome your application. MSF experience on medical coordinator level is desirable, so are Dutch language skills. Our working language is English so fluency is essential. You have a high degree of work autonomy as well as management capacity and monitoring and evaluation comes natural to you. You focus on providing a good service to your staff health colleagues in the field and towards HQ colleagues you are solution and results oriented partner with strong advising and networking skills.
- A challenging and exciting position in an international environment
- A contract for one year with a renewal option (subject to satisfactory performance)
- A gross monthly salary between 3,559 and 5,082 depending on professional experience, based on a fulltime appointment
- Other benefits include 30 holidays based on a fulltime appointment and a premium-free pension plan
INFORMATION & APPLICATION
If you are interested in this post and would like additional information, please contact Kaz de Jong , Coordinator Staff Health Unit at email@example.com.
Deadline for application is 2 February 2020. Preferred starting date is asap.
Interviews will be held 13 and 20 February 2020. Please note that there will be two rounds of interviews and an assessment.
–Acquisition is not appreciated–