We help to strengthen resilience of vulnerable people exposed to hazards and crisis situations and we respond to disasters and conflicts to save lives and alleviate suffering. In the Netherlands with more than thirty thousand volunteers and internationally through technical assistance, supplies and money. Together we act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people.
We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The International Assistance department is responsible for all Netherlands Red Cross international support for victims of disasters and conflicts and for vulnerable people exposed to hazards.
The International Assistance department has opened a vacancy for a
Roving Financial Delegate Sudan and South Sudan.
Position title: Roving Financial Delegate Sudan and South Sudan
Duty station: Roving Sudan and South Sudan
Time period: 12 months, possibility of extension
Starting Date: 1st of June
Purpose of the position
The main purpose of the position is to monitor, support and check financial processes for NLRC supported projects in South Sudan and Sudan.
The two focus countries are facing considerable challenges as a result of socio-economic and political instability in the different contexts and protracted armed conflict. The countries are also prone to natural disasters, such as drought, flooding, disease outbreaks.
The NLRC is a long term partner in the countries and supports its partners, Sudanese Red Crescent(SRCS) and South Sudan Red Cross (SSRC) with both emergency relief and longer term development assistance through programs in the areas of health, wash, sexual and gender based violence, livelihood, climate change and response preparedness. In addition, NLRC supports the partners with strengthening its capacities to effectively provide services to the most vulnerable communities and assists the partner in the coordination within the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement and other stakeholders.
The projects are funded by the NLRC, by public campaigns or by institutional donors, including the Dutch ministry of Foreign Affairs and EU DEVCO.
The NLRC is recruiting a Roving Financial Delegate to support operations in Sudan and South Sudan and provide capacity strengthening to NLRC and local staff based in-country.
Position in the organization
The Roving Finance Delegate reports into the NLRC Head Team Financial Control based in the Netherlands. The Finance Control unit sits within the International Department of the NLRC. For matters relating to security and other issues relating to deployment in Sudan, the Roving Finance Delegate reports to the Country Representative in Sudan.
The Roving Finance Delegate works together in day to day operations with NLRC Project Delegates, Country Representative and local staff.
The duty station of the position is Roving in Sudan and South Sudan.
Summary statement and responsibilities
- Conduct financial reviews in the field: analyze the financial management and risks, internal controls, reported expenditure versus approved budgets, balances per project.
- Monitor and ensure that the financial management at field level is carried out in accordance with the agreed contractual conditions, MoUs, applicable local laws and other regulatory requirements.
- Advise on the execution of the project administration at field level and ensure that correct financial reports are produced to steer and manage the project funding.
- Train the NLRC Project Delegates & local finance staff in the NLRC and major donor procedures such as EU DEVCO, for: internal control, financial planning, budgeting, budget revisions.
- Review the reported project expenditures including balance report and procurement table, provide feedback to country and NLRC HQ teams.
- Verify the project administration assuring this is audit proof, including reconciliation with thefinancial administration of the NS and that payments can be made according to plans.
- Provide mission reports with findings, recommendations and action plans to the Project
- Managers/budget holders to follow up by Country Representative and desk. Ensure that the
- Financial reports are complete and an audit proof project administration is in place.
- Winpaccs Cost Control: encoding of vouchers and variance analysis; forecasting , cash request and reporting requirements.
- Support the financial reporting on a monthly basis for the project(s), in coordination with the country representatives and to NLRC HQ.
- Monitor the budget of the delegation and all projects, and ensure accurate accounting, authorization and internal control procedures. Investigate and address significant variances.
- Assist with compiling and consolidation of Sudan EU DEVCO Climate Change Program financial reporting and ensure coherence with the narrative report in close cooperation with the
- NLRC Climate Change Program Budget.
- Lead, with the NLRC EU Climate Change Program Manager, the field level processes for the annual EVR for the EU Devco Climate Change Program.
- Any additional assignment upon request.
- Provide an end of mission report and share regular updates based on agreed timeframe with the desk at HQ and the Country Representatives.
- Save findings of missions and status quo after mission in a report on SPACE under deployments.
- Risk assessment.
- Report on Findings and recommendations
- Bachelor in Finance Administration, or other relevant degree
- Five years of experience in financial management, accounting and control
- At least two year experience in working for a humanitarian aid organisation outside of Europe
- Knowledge of Winpaccs Accounting and Cost Control preferable, or willingness to complete the relevant training
- Experience in preparing budgets, cash flow statements and financial plans
- Experience in developing financial reports, and provide support to ensure consistency with narrative reporting
- Experience with donor formats and requirements incl. EU DEVCO/ ECHO
- Strong communication and training / coaching skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including experience and proven competence in preparing financial reports and explanatory notes on deviations
- Experience in problem identification and solution analysis
- Excellent practical computer skills (including excellent command of Excel spreadsheets and accounting software, as well as strong competence in Windows, Word processing, internet and email)
- Willingness to travel to the Branch Offices as required.
- Fluency in English required. Dutch is an advantage.
- Preferably experience in working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent movement.
- Able to work in a team
- High degree of integrity, discretion, and personal conduct
- Flexible and adaptable to changing working conditions
- Self-motivated, with good judgment and initiative
- Ability to manage broad responsibilities with attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills
- Stress resistant
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Hands on mentality
- A full time appointment (based on 40-hour work week) for 12 months, with the possibility of extension depending.
- A flexible and human centred working environment in an international environment with a variety of international organizations.
- Well balanced employment conditions with space for initiative and development.
Please send your resume in English and letter of motivation with reference to Sophia van Maanen before the 14th of August 2019 to https://werkenbij.rodekruis.nl/nl/Vacancy/Postulate/123321
For more information about the position, you can contact Simone Zwaan, Head Team Financial Control at firstname.lastname@example.org
An initial assessment of candidates short-listed is part of the selection procedure.
Acquisition for this vacancy will not be appreciated