We help to strengthen resilience of vulnerable people exposed to hazards and crisis situations and we respond to disasters and conflicts to save lives and alleviate suffering. In the Netherlands with more than thirty thousand volunteers and internationally through technical assistance, supplies and money. Together we act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people.
We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
510 is the data initiative of the Netherlands Red Cross. Our vision is that smart use of data will help towards faster, higher quality and more (cost) effective humanitarian aid at a global level. The 510 initiative was established early 2016 and has grown since into a team of 60 core and project staff, students and volunteer data experts with diverse backgrounds. The team is developing data and digital solutions for humanitarian aid. Our main results are published on 510.global.
510 is searching for a:
Strategic Product Designer (40 hours p/w)
Purpose of the position
Creating scientifically sound and data driven methods & products to help improve humanitarian aid is very important, ensuring people trust and use them with ease is just as important. We are seeking a Strategic Product Designer. The purpose of this position is to ensure all our products and design services 510 creates are done together with the people affected by and the humanitarian staff responding too disasters. 510 began with a data- driven approach, as we evolved we began to introduce HCD & SPD methods into the digital creation process. Your role will strengthen this transition and bring it to the next level.
The strategic product designer executes the human centered design methods, turns user insights into (service) product designs, prototypes in Figma and hands over wireframes for MVPs, reviews usability and organizes prototype testing and user-acceptance testing. The strategic product designer strengthens design thinking in the 510 team and is the guardian of the end users perspective.
This position will work together with the Product Design Lead to strengthen 510’s strategic vision and core value “We build products based on needs”. This position reports to the 510 Strategic lead.
The Strategic Product Designer supports the 510 core values
- We prioritise disasters
- We engage local and scale global
- We design products and services based on needs
- We embrace volunteerism
- We build evidence
- We use data responsibly
- We commit to operational excellence
Responsibilities within the “Design as a service” team
- Deliver independent design services to national societies through the 510 projects
- Co design remotely/locally to establish needs & create product/service prototypes to address them.
- Document HCD/UX research as evidence: insights / value propositions / personas / user journeys
- Create service blueprints/ product prototypes based on research
- Test services/prototypes with end users to validate if needs are met & iterate where needed
- Ensure work is shared within design team to prevent duplication and work efficiently
- Collaborate with interns and professional volunteer(s) & end users & developers to ensure multiple perspectives are taken into account before handover
- Ensure smooth handover of design outputs to the rapid prototyping and project teams.
- Ensure that every project has clear documentation of the design process.
- Provide written inputs on the design activities outcomes to the technical project coordinators in 510, to meet donor / national society reporting requirements
- Contribute to continued improvements on the product creation process together with the Product Design lead.
- Maintain and evolve the HCD Insights Database & UX UI design system
The Netherlands Red Cross is looking for talented employees who are motivated to fulfil this position, regardless of cultural background, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation or age.
- A master’s degree in design (e.g. Strategic Product Design, Human Technology Interaction, Human Centred Design),
- Track record showing the capacity to use design to
- Understand user needs and provide actionable insights to project- and development teams
- improve (Humanitarian) products & processes, operations and decision-making.
- Living in – or willing to move to – the Netherlands (at own expense).
- The candidate needs to be in possession of a valid work- and residence permit for the Netherlands (if required)
Skills and experience
- At least 3+ years of professional experience Strategic Product/Human Centred /Technological Design
- Demonstrable interest in humanitarian aid
- Proven experience with user/human-centred research
- Ability to observe and study people in their own environment (Ethnography)
- Proven experience in organizing and reporting on usability and user-acceptance testing
- Experience with organizing and assessing insights
- Strong skills in Digital Product Creation tools & methods: Figma/Strategyzer
- Excellent in communicating and finding support for ideas
- A track record in advising clients
- Tact, discretion, and the ability to work harmoniously in a team.
- Excellent command of English language (written and verbally).
- Work experience in an international development & humanitarian setting.
- Professional level French, Arabic or Spanish
- Listening Skills
- Service oriented
- Situational awareness
- Organisational Sensitivity
- A full time appointment (based on 40-hour work week) for one year, with the possibility of extension depending on performance.
- A flexible (remote) and human centred working environment in an international environment with a variety of international organizations.
- Well balanced employment conditions with space for initiative and development.
Remuneration: the salary scale level is set at 11 as mentioned in the CAO, depending on education level and experience. (min. € 3.327,27 until max. € 4.401,78 gross per month on the basis of full time employment).
Please send your resume in English and letter of motivation with reference to Rob Vugs before 6 May 2021 using our online application tool via the ‘solliciteren’ button on this page.
For more information about the position, you can contact Orla Canavan at OCanavan@redcross.nl
An assessment can be part of the selection procedure.
For more information of the work of the Netherlands Red Cross please go to www.rodekruis.nl NLRC on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis and Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis
Acquisition for his vacancy will not be appreciated