We help to strengthen resilience of vulnerable people exposed to hazards and crisis situations and we respond to disasters and conflicts to save lives and alleviate suffering. In the Netherlands with more than fifteen thousand volunteers and internationally through technical assistance, supplies and money. Together we act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people. We do this without regards to nationality, ethnicity, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The International Assistance division is responsible for all Netherlands Red Cross international support for victims of disasters and conflicts and for vulnerable people exposed to hazards.
The International Assistance division has opened a temporary vacancy (4-9 months) for a:
Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Advisor
The Hague, 32 -36 hours p/w.
Purpose of the position
The key purpose of this position is to ensure adequate capacity to provide a clear direction to and application of sound Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (PMEAL) within the International Assistance division of the Netherlands Red Cross. As a PMEAL advisor you will guide, advise and assist programme managers, project managers and Red Cross Red Crescent partner’s staff in designing and implementing project and programmes and building PMEAL capacity in the countries of operation. The PMEAL team is composed of four positions and is coordinated by the senior PMEAL advisor. The PMEAL team reports to the unit lead of the Strategy Diplomacy and Evidence (SDE) Unit.
The PMEAL functions are currently part of the Strategy Diplomacy and Evidence (SDE) Unit. This unit brings together Strategy & Movement relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy, Quality Management & Integrity, and Planning, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning, including adherence to accountability towards donors and beneficiaries.
The SDE Unit works closely together with all other units within the International Assistance division such as the Disaster Response Unit, Programme Development & Management Unit, Water Advice & Innovation Unit, 510 Data Initiative and the Partnership Units, as well as with other divisions within the Netherlands Red Cross such as Market Development and Fundraising and Communications. The PMEAL advisor can provide support to all these units.
- Planning: with programme managers and project managers, develop and maintain planning approaches. With partners, facilitate the development of Theory of Changes and logical frameworks within the countries of implementation. Ensure that M&E of projects and programmes is well integrated in the design of the programme and assist partners in reporting.
- Monitoring: support project managers in designing indicator frameworks and intervention logic / theories of change and monitoring and evaluation plans, including alignment of key (cross-cutting) issues such as sustainability, gender and youth. Develop reporting tools based on the capacity of implementing partners, internal information needs and donor requirements.
- Reporting: review, align and promote PMEAL approaches and guidelines for the International Assistance department. Advise and support project and programme managers as well as advisors in reporting to donors.
- Evaluations: Work together with knowledge institutes on impact assessments and develop terms of references for external evaluators/consultants and advise on PMEAL costs in programme and project budgets.
- Capacity development: Frequent travel (when Covid-19 situation allows) to partner countries to support Red Cross/Red Crescent partners in PMEAL activities, for instance by providing training in the Theory of Change methodology, and (participative) qualitative and quantitative data collection tools for baselines, mid-term reviews and evaluations.
- Facilitate Learning: Support participative learning processes within projects and programmes. Consolidate learning and assist colleagues in building a track record data base.
- Networking: Participate and represent the Netherlands Red Cross in relevant working groups and fora, e.g. Red Cross/Red Crescent PMER group or specific alliance working groups.
- Organisational Development: based on the new strategy for the Netherlands Red Cross – International Department we have started some organisational improvement trajectories to improve our own PMEAL, amongst others in the field of needs assessments, community engagement and accountability, organisational learning, using evidence from our projects and programmes for our humanitarian diplomacy, coordination on research and meta-evaluations, etc.
- A Master’s degree in Behavioural Sciences, Development Economics, International Relations or other related or relevant academic field.
Skills and experience
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in an organization that works internationally.
- Previous experience in the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement is an asset, if not then at least working in partnership with local organisations for the implementation of programmes and projects.
- Relevant experience with and/or in the sub-Saharan Africa, Middle East and/ or Asian context.
- Demonstrable knowledge of planning, monitoring, evaluation approaches and their application in humanitarian / development context, including LFA, Theory of Change, Results-Based Management or Human-Centred Design.
- Basic knowledge of one or more humanitarian/development themes is an asset: community resilience, Disaster Risk Reduction, Climate Change Adaptation, Response Preparedness, Forecast Based Financing, Humanitarian Innovation, Data Preparedness, Health, Water Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion, Migration
- Thorough knowledge of empirical research methods both qualitative as well as quantitative. Experience with case studies, impact assessments, contribution analysis and process tracking are an asset.
- Experience in data processing and analysis (including data-visualization) and using PME information for reporting to different types of donors.
- Experience in organisational development on PMEAL.
- Ability to contribute and facilitate training and knowledge/skills transfer
- Critical thinker, written & verbal and communication skills and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to develop clear goals, and to relate with stakeholders.
- Excellent command of the English language; working level Dutch and French is a strong asset.
- Organisational sensitivity, cooperation, providing feed-back, planning, supportive, analysing and forming opinions, result oriented, adaptability, intercultural (communication) skills
- An appointment of 32-36 hours for 4- to 9 months, based on the availability of funding. Funding of this position is project based.
- A flexible and human centred working environment in an international environment.
- Well balanced employment conditions with space for initiative and personal development.
Remuneration: the salary scale level is set at 11 as mentioned in the CAO, depending on education level and experience. (€ 3.407,27 – € 4.481,78 per month on the basis of full time employment).
Please send your and cover letter CV in English with reference to Rob Vugs before 28 July 2021 through the ‘solliciteren’ button on this page.
The Red Cross seeks employees with talent and excellent competencies for a position and is not guided by cultural background, physical limitations, gender identity, religious beliefs, orientation or age.
For more information about the position contact Lotte Heuberger, LHeuberger@redcross.nl.
An assessment might be part of the selection process. The first round of interviews will be in the week of 9 august 2021. We are looking for someone that ideally can start end of august/early September.
For more information of the work of the Netherlands Red Cross please go to www.rodekruis.nl
The Netherlands Red Cross on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis and Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruis
Acquisition based on this vacancy is not appreciated