The Netherlands Red Cross helps to strengthen resilience of vulnerable people exposed to hazards and crisis situations and we respond to disasters and conflicts to save lives and alleviate suffering. In the Netherlands we do this with more than thirty thousand volunteers and internationally through technical assistance, supplies and financial aid. Together we act before, during and after natural and man-made disasters to meet the needs and to improve the lives of vulnerable people.
We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
510 is the data initiative of the Netherlands Red Cross. Our vision is that smart use of data will help towards faster, higher quality and more (cost) effective humanitarian aid at a global level. The 510 initiative was established early 2016 and has grown since into a team of 80 core and project staff, students and volunteer data experts with diverse backgrounds. The team is developing data and digital solutions for humanitarian aid. Our main results are published on 510.global.
The International Federation of Red Cross Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) has launched a Digital Transformation strategy to support the transformation of National Societies. One of the pillars of the digital transformation is data & digital literacy.
To support this work, 510 has opened a vacancy for a:
Data & Digital Literacy expert
(32-40 hours p/w)
Purpose of the position
This position supports the IFRC and 510 to develop a data & digital curriculum for Red Cross National Societies. This position is partly and remotely seconded to the IFRC, and for line management to the 510 strategic lead.
Responsibilities towards IFRC
- Leads the identification of competencies and practical knowledge on data & digital of national societies
- Collaborate with the IFRC coordinator on Knowledge Management to set the curriculum, translate and distribute modules
- Spearheads the development of an outline global curriculum on data & digital literacy, including the Data Playbook, and align with the Digital Maturity Framework
- Initiates a network of teachers, trainers, content providers and external parties and where available and applicable, with competency networks
- Builds partnerships on data literacy with a few partners, such as OCHA Humanitarian data center, and corporate partners together with IFRC IM and IT team
- Coordinates any specialised or customised training requests from NS
- Review existing training modules in the RCRC and beyond, and decide to reuse, or remake modules.
- Per subject
- analyses of requirements and learning objectives
- Develop the instructional content design and determine instructional approach
- Create a storyboard
- Develop the training prototype
- Develop the training together with IFRC to be added to the curriculum and learning platform
- Test the training by delivering it
- Evaluate the impact and improve the content
- Actively tracks and manages engagement with the curriculum within the IFRC of Data & Digital learning
Responsibilities towards 510
- Identify the skills development needs of the 510 team, and coordinate with our Corporate Partners to deliver expert trainings to our team.
- Contribute to the delivery of data literacy trainings of the 510 team to our partner national societies, and ensure best possible alignment of the trainings and materials to the IFRC data & digital literacy curriculum as it develops.
- Work with the Digital Volunteer Coordinator and with volunteers on data & digital literacy tasks
The Netherlands Red Cross is looking for talented employees who are motivated to fulfil this position, regardless of cultural background, disability, gender, religion, sexual orientation or age.
- Higher education or university degree in a technical domain
Skills and experience
- Excellent English language skills
- Demonstrable interest in and a good base knowledge of humanitarian aid
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong experience with instructional design
- Proven experience of understanding technical (Data & Digital) content
- Passion for knowledge
- Demonstratable passion for learning and teaching others
- Fluent in either Arabic, French, Spanish
- Result oriented
- Quality Oriented
- The candidate must be based in the Netherlands or willing to move to the Netherlands at own expenses.
- The candidate needs to be in possession of a valid work- and residence permit for the Netherlands (if required)
- A part-time appointment for one year, with the possibility of extension depending on performance and portfolio.
- A flexible and human centred working environment in an international environment with a variety of international organizations.
- Well balanced employment conditions with space for initiative and development.
Remuneration: the salary scale level is set at 11 as mentioned in the CAO, depending on education level and experience. (min. € 3.327,27 until max. € 4.401,78 gross per month on the basis of full time employment).
Please send your resume in English and letter of motivation with reference to Rob Vugs before May 3rd 2021 using our online application tool via via the application button on this page.
For more information about the position, you can contact Maarten van der Veen at MvanderVeen@redcross.nl
An assessment can be part of the selection procedure.
For more information of the work of the Netherlands Red Cross please go to www.rodekruis.nl NLRC on Facebook: Facebook.com/rodekruis and Twitter: Twitter.com/rodekruisAcquisition for his vacancy will not be appreciated