We help to strengthen resilience of vulnerable people exposed to hazards and crisis situations to prevent human suffering and save lives. And we respond to disasters and conflicts to alleviate human suffering. In the Netherlands with more than thirty thousand volunteers and internationally through technical assistance, supplies and money. Together we act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people. We do this without regard to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The Red Cross Princes Margriet Fund serves the mission of the Red Cross with the aim to prevent human suffering:
- Supporting interventions with thematic expertise on Disaster Risk Reduction, Climate Change Adaptation and Community Resilience;
- Mobilization of resources and coordination of donor liaisons;
- Enabling humanitarian innovation and sustainability.
The Fund is part of the Marketing and Fundraising division and closely linked to the International Assistance division which manages the international Netherlands Red Cross program portfolio.
The Princess Margriet Fund has opened a vacancy for a:
(The Hague 32 – 40 hours p/w)
Place in the organization:
The Red Cross Princess Margriet Fund is committed to helping vulnerable people around the world who are repeatedly affected by natural disasters. We reach our goal by starting smart, innovative and sustainable projects that better protect and prepare people.
In this position you report to the director of the Fund. The position is based in The Hague.. You are expected to travel internationally to partner countries and to the countries where institutional donors are based. The estimated travel time will be approximately 4 weeks per year.
Purpose of the position:
As Business Developer you are responsible for developing and executing the business development strategy, identifying new partnership opportunities and writing programme proposals based on business cases.
The fundraising landscape is changing in terms of resources and incentives and new models for value-exchange (that go beyond linear donor-grantee relations) are needed to engage future funding partners. You are expected to develop innovative programme proposals and business cases to engage previously untapped sources of funding, such as climate finance, impact development funds an development banks. You are expected to navigate between the strategic and tactic level of proposal development up until the actual execution and (co-)writing of proposals/business cases.
A pro-active and curious mind is essential, as well as strong interpersonal skills.
As BD you are working closely with other teams including our technical community resilience advisors, country teams, marketing, fundraising & communication teams, and the Monitoring & Evaluation team.
You are responsible for:
- Mapping, identifying and developing new value-exchange models with prospective donors, knowledge & technical partners and end-beneficiaries
- Developing new business proposals for donors
- Build and grow our institutional donor and foundations network
- Coordinate proposal development for international programs
- Coordinate the liaison with other members of the Red Cross network to strategically access funding
- Expand the network and knowledge partnerships of NLRC
- Build the knowledge and skills of colleagues on institutional donor liaison and proposal development
- Support the management of PMF with donor liaison strategies
You have a work permit for the Netherlands and have a bachelor or university degree in relevant field. (Could be Business Administration, Sales, Development Studies, Political Science, International Affairs etc.) Preferably the candidate has worked or is currently working in the strategic and innovation consultancy, in institutional donors organisations or for foundations.
Skills and experience
- + 3 years professional experience in (new) business development
- + 3 years in donor liaison (Government or institutional donors or foundations)
- + 3 years professional experience with multi partner and multi country programme proposal development
- Experience in developing innovative proposals and writing business cases is a must
- Experience of writing successful bids/tenders; proven power to mobilize resources
- Innovative and creative thinking and acting
- Excellent and results-driven networking skills
- Sensitivity to the political and cultural environment of public agencies, multilaterals or similarly complex environments
- Excellent project leader/coordination and communication skills to coordinate complex processes and partnerships with results-focus and ability to meet deadlines
- Negotiation skills in setting Service Level Agreements and Contracts
- Excellent command of the English language and preferably basis command of Dutch
- Understanding of and expertise in international development, demonstrated by exposure to global issues such as economic development, global health, education or environment is a plus
A flexible, human centered working environment with space for initiative and development.
Remuneration: the salary scale level is set at scale 12 as mentioned in the CAO, depending on education level and experience. (min. 3.652,98 until max. 4.874,34 gross per month on the basis of full time employment (=40h/week)). We offer opportunities to develop yourself professionally.
Please send your resume in English and letter of motivation with reference to Angela van der Woude, HR-officer, before 22 October 2019, through our online application system via https://werkenbij.rodekruis.nl/nl/Vacancy/Postulate/146467
For more information about the position, please contact Liselotte de Koning, director PMF, firstname.lastname@example.org or 070 445 56 66. We communicate about our projects on www.rodekruis.nl/hulp-wereldwijd/voorbereiding-op-rampen.
An online assessment will be part of the selection procedure.
For more information of the work of the Netherlands Red Cross please go to www.rodekruis.nl.