The aim of this roundtable debate is to open a constructive dialogue regarding the incorporation of animal welfare into future EU trade deals as well as the optimal implementation of existing trade agreements. Trade negotiations represent a unique opportunity for the EU to positively influence the welfare of animals abroad. However free trade also opens up the European market to animal products that do not meet European standards. This can put pressure on European standards to be lowered in order for European producers to remain competitive.
Introductory speeches will be given by co-host Tiziana Beghin, MEP (EFDD/IT) and by Karoline Grasswander-Hainz, MEP (S&D, AT). Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmström will then introduce her views on what is achievable in European trade policy, and Eurogroup for Animals will launch a set of model animal welfare provisions for discussion.
Selected “bright sparks” and attendees will exchange their views constructively. The audience will include MEPs, Council experts on trade, members of the academic and scientific communities, and civil society.
This roundtable debate will be co-hosted by Sirpa Pietikaïnen MEP, President of the European Parliament Intergroup on the Welfare & Conservation of Animals, and by Tiziana Beghin MEP, EFDD INTA member, with the support of the Pan-European animal advocacy organisation Eurogroup for Animals.
• Welcome and Introductory Speeches by co-host Tiziana Beghin MEP and Karoline Grasswander-Hainz MEP
• Cecilia Malmström (EU Commissioner for Trade) – How far can we go?
• Stephanie Ghislain (Trade & Animal Welfare Project Leader, Eurogroup for Animals) – Launch of Eurogroup’s Model Animal Welfare Provisions
• Exchange of views with the room, with the participation of bright sparks: François Riegert (Minister Counsellor for Economic Affairs, French Permanent Representation to the European Union), Johan Krabb (Agricultural Councellor, Swedish Permanent Representation to the European union) & Jo Swabe (Senior Director of Public Affairs, Humane Society International/Europe)
• Reaction from Cecilia Malmström (EU Commissioner for Trade)
• Closing remarks by Sirpa Pietikäinen MEP (President, Intergroup for the Welfare and Conservation of Animals) & Tiziana Beghin MEP
Your registration will be confirmed by email
The post Launch event: Model provisions on animal welfare in EU FTAS appeared first on Eurogroup for Animals.