Young Expert – Food Security and Livelihoods
The Netherlands Red Cross (NLRC) helps to reduce vulnerabilities and strengthen resilience by responding to disasters and crises and by supporting community and institutional risk reduction and preparedness. Together we act before, during and after disasters to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people. We do this without regards to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinion. Our seven principles guide our humanitarian work: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
In partnership with Philippines Red Cross (PRC) and Local Government in Surigao Del Notre Province NLRC has launched a 3 year (2016-2018) integrated ‘Youth ignite: Agents of Change ’ project. The overall goal of the project is to enable youth cope with the impact and consequences of armed conflict and are thus adding to the overall resilience of the community. Food security and Eco-smart livelihoods is one of the major components of the project.
A Dutch or Philippine Young Expert-Food security and Livelihood is needed to team up with Philippines Red Cross project staff to lead the implementation and coordination of the food security and livelihood component. The Young Expert will work closely with the local government departments of agriculture in 5 municipalities targeted by the project in Surigao Del Norte province. S/he will be providing operational support aimed at securing sustainable food and livestock production and eco smart Livelihoods.
Young Expert – Food Security and Livelihoods
Surigao Del Notre, Mindanao region, Philippines
September 1st, 2017
Surigao Del Notre province is affected and vulnerable to disasters such as floods, landslides, typhoons and earthquakes. These risks pose a huge threat to the lives of young people and their families. The lack of employment opportunities and social safety nets generate tension and leave youth and their families with limited options for a sustainable livelihood. Within Surigao province, insufficient opportunities exist for young people to earn a living, subsequently heightening their chance of facing poverty and turning to illicit activities. Youth face numerous serious struggles in their daily lives. They struggle with the threats of poverty, armed conflict and natural hazards that result in psychological and emotional distress and affects their perception of life.
A young Expert is expected to contribute to restart, restoration and development of food security and livelihoods activities that have been disrupted by a disaster or conflict. In partnership with PRC, Agriculture departments, Social Welfare Departments of the respective municipalities and Private sector actors, s/he will play a key role in helping targeted communities to establish Sloping Agriculture Land Technology farms in 3 locations and initiate alternative eco-smart livelihoods/income generating activities. The Young expert will also develop other alternative livelihoods options such as poultry, bee keeping/apiary and livestock development. This is expected to increase the number of sources of income for farming cooperatives, making them less dependent on yields of one particular enterprise.
Summary statement and responsibilities
The Young Expert will carry out the following key tasks:
- Organise and conduct trainings for farmers on Sloping Agriculture Land Technology (SALT) model. Conduct agribusiness trainings on key areas such as crop and livestock production enhancement, quality control, cost management, agriprenuership for farmers
- Facilitate young farmer to diversify their livelihood enterprises by adopting bee keeping, poultry and other non-crop enterprises complementary to the SALT farm initiatives.
- Develop and facilitate agro-livestock trainings for project staff and farmers participating in SALT demonstration farm within the project area.
- Provide support to PRC during review, planning and management of the food security and livelihoods components of the project.
- Develop, together with the PRC, training materials, tools and guidelines on SALT farm management and non-farm enterprises that are eco-smart and promote integrated Risk Management.
- Develop monitoring & evaluation systems for the food security and eco-smart livelihoods component of the project
- Support the technical delegate in the project cycle management of the project (input for reporting, accountability and input for proposal writing)
- Ensure provision of quality data on a timely manner for project management and reporting purposes.
- Improve/develop capacity of PRC project staff, community facilitators and farmers associations/cooperatives to identify sustainable agro crop enterprises, understand and implement market relevant crop and livestock products within the project area
- Work with his local young expert counterpart to share experiences, ways of doings and technical knowledge.
- Assist the PRC project staff to establish linkages with the private sectors and local government department of Agriculture for farmers to access farm and no farm economic opportunities and negotiate market contracts for the farm produce of the cooperative groups of farmers.
- Together with PRC, support the design of a strategy to strengthen linkages between food security/livelihood development actors, local government departments and private actors.
- Provide technical support in the establishment of marketing database to keep beneficiary farmers, buyers informed of the prevailing crop and animal product prices.
Position in the organization
The Young Expert will be working for the International Department of the Netherlands Red Cross and will be employed as a junior delegate in the Philippines, based in Mindanao. The project delegate is the supervisor of the junior delegate and has also a coaching role.
The candidate should at least have:
- A Degree/Masters in agriculture (crop and Livestock production).
- Maximum 4 years’ experience in agribusiness development; preferably in demonstration farm planning , management and economic analysis
- Knowledge of Sloping Agriculture Land Technology (SALT) model for soil conservation and eco systems management would be an advantage
- Experience in small to medium agro-enterprise and livelihoods management
- Capacity to work with private sector players such as financial institutions, traders, buyers, processors, inputs dealers and local government departments of agriculture and Livestock.
- Experience in community participatory development and mobilisation skills.
- Experience in project cycle management
- Due to the nature of the position we can only accommodate Dutch or Philippines nationals.
- A good command of the English language both verbally and in writing.
- Strong communication skills.
- Prior experience with working in multicultural context and willingness to work in post conflict settings is desirable.
- Ability to coach/train others as well as be open to learning from others. Willingness to different opinions and learning
- Organized and able to respect timelines.
- Character qualities: High degree of integrity, discretion, and personal conduct, as well as pro-active, a quick learner and flexible, with a pragmatic approach to problem solving.
- Please send your resume and letter of motivation in English with reference to Ariene Harteveld, before 3 July.
- For more information about the position, you can contact Sonia Morales by e-mail: Shernandezmorales@redcross.nl.
- While we appreciate all responses, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
- An initial assessment of candidates short-listed is part of the selection procedure.