Head of Department PMO
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent, medical, emergency relief organisation that provides assistance to people worldwide, regardless of their background, religion or political convictions. Above all, we aim to save lives and to offer medical care to victims of disasters, wars and epidemics. Working together with local staff, we give direct support to the population. MSF also appeals to those in power, including governments and international organisations, and speaks out about the abuses we encounter in the course of our work.
MSF coordinates operations through collaborations between global offices. ‘Artsen zonder Grenzen Nederland’ (MSF-Holland) has a partnership with offices in the UK and Germany. This partnership, known as ‘MSF Operational Centre Amsterdam’ (MSF-OCA), operates medical humanitarian interventions in about 30 countries. Annually, MSF-OCA deploys approximately 1,500 international staff and employs 9,000 national staff.
The office of MSF-Holland located in Amsterdam hosts close to 300 employees, offering direct support to MSF-OCA operations.
MSF-OCA is currently looking for a
Head of Department PMO (Programme Management Office)
Based in Amsterdam
In 2014 OCA approved the implementation of a Project Portfolio Management Office (PMO) which would provide governance, advice, support, training, tools and most critically coordination of the wide range of projects occurring across the organization.
In the last two years our organization has improved its project management capabilities, the first stage of building an effective PMO is concluded successfully.
The new Head of PMO is expected to inherit and continue with the defined strategic vision of the department to ensure continuity and consistency. As we are only started part way through the implementation plan of building the PMO department, the successful candidate is able to have a long term vision for the department, as well as focus on current and next steps. We are still in a change process.
Responsibilities for this position include further designing and implementing the structure and processes of the PMO department, and thereafter leading its ongoing development in the organisation. The post-holder will be responsible for line managing Project Managers delivering key strategic projects, and providing matrix management support to other project managers across OCA. In addition, a Project Officer, providing support to the Head and other PMs, and will be managed by the post-holder.
The post is based in Amsterdam and will report to the Director of Projects, Resources and Organisation.
• Further design, develop and deliver a PMO for OCA providing a range of services: governance, coordination, tools, training, support and reporting mechanisms
• Providing oversight and coordination of key organizational projects to ensure alignment with, and delivery of, the objectives in the Strategic Plan
• To champion and advocate the use of good project management practice in all organizational projects, providing a ‘one stop shop’ for support, advice, training and resources to non-qualified PMs
• To provide ongoing management and development of the PMO to meet the needs of a changing and complex organization, whilst seeking opportunities to advocate and improve project management practice across the MSF Movement in collaboration with internal and external colleagues
• Ensure delivery of PMO implementation objectives, within timeframe and budget set
• Develop and deliver the required change process in the organization
• Maintain good project management practice and ensure full transparency
• Manage the team and internal and external stakeholders
• Facilitate executive decision making
• At least 5 years’ experience managing ‘business critical’ high profile projects
• At least 2 years’ experience as a Head of Department or equivalent
• At least 2 years’ experience in managing a project portfolio or PMO
• Formal project management training/qualification (PRINCE2 & PMP)
• Strong in building bridges between different disciplines and organizational levels
• Adept at managing wide range of stakeholders and reporting to senior staff
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Fluent in English, written and speech
• Excellent communication skills, oral as well as written
• Ability to transfer knowledge effectively
• Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision and under pressure
• Demonstrated ability to deliver in an international and multi-cultural environment
• “Getting things done” mentality, persistent, persuasive and convincing
• Previous experience with MSF is considered an advantage
• You must be willing to travel and visit our projects in the field
• A challenging and exciting position in an international environment
• Opportunity to travel and experience the dynamics of a globally operating, leading humanitarian healthcare organisation
• A contract for three years with a renewal option of a maximum of three years (subject to satisfactory performance) based on a fulltime appointment (40 hours/week).
• A gross monthly salary between € 4,162 and € 5,945 depending on professional experience, based on a fulltime appointment
• Other benefits include 30 holidays and a premium-free pension plan
Information and application
If you are interested in this post and would like additional information, please contact Ms Kim Top, (Assistant to the Director Projects, Resources & Organisation) on phone number +31 (0)20 840 8551.
If you believe that you fit the profile, you can react directly via the ‘Apply Now‘ button. Please upload a letter of motivation and Curriculum Vitae in English as one combined document.
Acquisition as a result of this vacancy is not appreciated.